Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Chopped and Screwed!

I'm officially old. I had never heard this term until today. I downloaded a beautiful version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel from iTunes. It's by The Martins and is on their Light of the World album. And I went to play it, when it started skipping! It's digital, why is it skipping?! So I started searching the iTunes site for troubleshooting help and found this:

"A purchased song sounds bad.
If a specific song purchased from the iTunes Store sounds bad, please follow the steps below to submit the problem directly to Apple. Hip-Hop lovers: Make sure your song is not a "chopped and screwed" version. If there is an issue at a certain point in the song, to expedite your request, please tell us the time code where the problem appears."

I'm thankful they had the link to Wikipedia for the definition!

"Chopped and screwed (also known as screwed and chopped, slowed and throwed, Houston music, H-Town music, screw music, and screw) all refer to a technique of remixing hip hop music by slowing the tempo and applying various DJ techniques such as skipping beats, record scratching, stop-time, and sending portions of the music through stand-alone effects to make a "chopped-up" version of the original."

It did make me laugh that they had to put the Hip Hop disclaimer in their "song sounds bad" troubleshooting section.

No comments: